Online Store – What do I need?
Many small business owners would like an online store to sell their products or services and receive payment by credit cards. We have been asked by small business owners “What do I need to setup an online store” as they don’t fully understand it. An online store that accepts credit cards require multiple components to make it operational.
- You need a domain name (a web address)
- You need hosting (a place on a web server that holds your Shopping cart and files)
- You need a Shopping Cart (web interface to post items and descriptions)
- You need a merchant account (interface between your shopping cart and the bank or credit card company)
- You need a bank or credit card company (to process the credit card transactions and link to your bank account for deposits)
- You need SSL certificate for security and encryption (banks and credit card company require your shopping cart site is secure)
To successfully setup an online store for your website you would need to own or purchase a domain name, hosting, shopping cart, merchant account, SSL certificate and apply to a bank or credit card company to process the credit card transactions.